Thursday, May 27, 2010

I am in MEXICO! Can you believe it?
Our flights were uneventful. We arrived in the afternoon at Manzanillo. As we stepped off the plane, the hit of warm humid air was immediately healing. The taxi ride to the condo community of Vida del Mar took us over dry rural land, with no view yet of the ocean nearby. We stopped at a small market for a few food items to tie me over until we could go grocery shopping the next day. Along with ripe local fruit and a can of crema de coco for my morning cereal, we bought freshly made maize tortillas and candied yams - ymmm. As expected, Phyllis is amazed at how much food I eat. More on that later.

My first glimpse of the sea was as I stepped through the condo doorway. I looked through the dining and living rooms, over the deck and past the tops of coco palms to a small cove where the waves crashed against the rocks below. We stepped onto the deck for a better view and inhaled the fresh, warm, humid air cooled slightly by the sea breeze. Everywhere we go here, the air is gently moving, either from the wind or fans. It's almost like a massage. Phyllis keeps the windows and doors open so we can feel the breeze and hear the sound of the waves hitting the shore and rolling the pebbles along the beach. Many flowers are in bloom: bougenvillia (?), hibiscus, and others whose names I don't yet know. It's peaceful and quiet here now because most people have returned to their first homes. Most of the people we see even on the condo property are locals, working on maintenance projects. We are awakened each morning by their work, but not too early. I am getting plenty of sleep each night and resting during the day.


Our first afternoon, we settled into the condo then walked on the property locating pools and bathrooms that were open for use. The one we will use most is on what seems to be the highest point around here, surrounded by lawn and tile with flowering vines and trees gracing the patios. A restaurant, la Recif, is next to the pool with a wide patio that looks over the ocean far below. This is where Phyllis often leads others in yoga. Unfortunately the restaurants on the property are closed for the season. So that first night, we drove into the nearby village and ate at this little restaurant. We were the only patrons at the time, for a late dinner. We both ordered shrimp cocktails served in a chilled broth with fresh avocado, tomato, chiles, cilantro, and lime. That was enough for Phyllis, but I also ordered dinner of fresh snapper panfried in butter and garlic, served with buttery rice and vegetables.

Yesterday, Phyllis rose before me and went on a walk. After a leisurely breakfast of fruit and rice cereal, then a shower, we drove into the town of Santiago (I think) where Phyllis belongs to a beach club. It is a small graceful place right on the beach with a pool, patios with chaise lounges, a restaurant open for breakfast and lunch, and changing rooms. We left our things on the patio, took only our credit cards, camera, water, and sarongs, and strolled in our bathing suits along the water and sand to a lagoon. We crossed the inlet on a foot bridge and walked uphill a short way to a beautiful hotel and restaurant. The man who served us has known Phyllis now over these many years she has been coming to the area, and brought her the usual shrimp and avocado salad. I feasted on fried tortilla chips and mahi mahi with rice, cooked to perfection. After our return walk along the beach, I read and dozed on the beach club patio while Phyllis read and then went for a swim in the ocean. The water was warm but refreshing. We left the beach late afternoon and went grocery shopping in a supermercado for produce and chicken to make a few meals. I was distracted and entertained looking at the different foods available, trying to understand the Spanish I was reading and using to ask for things I couldn't find. In the bakery section, I couldn't resist a slice of tres leches cake and a sampling of the other baked goods. Back at the condo I made dinner, and then ate dinner, while Phyllis did an hour long meditation for the full moon. Of the desserts, my favorite was the cake! Tomorrow we will go to a proper bakery and seek out some good local coffee.


Without a watch and not using my phone, I really have no idea what time it is now, maybe almost noon. Phyllis is sunning at la Recif, the pool at the condos, and I am in the office. I better get back. Today we will have massages at 4:00 and plan to lounge at the condo after that and eat in, so I imagine we will want to get moving if we are going to go to the beach today, and fit in another meal for me. I will consider the massage my rest for the day, and maybe fall off to sleep for a bit after the massage.

More later. I hope it's not still raining in Portland, or wherever YOU are.
Take care. Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment