Thursday, September 10, 2009

One more week of treatment is nearly over. Today after radiation, Leslie and I walked on Mt. Tabor with Louise and her dog, Litus. It is another beautiful day. I hope that summer will continue into fall. Now that the neighborhood children are back in school, as well as many of my teaching friends, I really feel my retirement status, and love it. I can take care of so many postponed projects, like ripping out carpeting, installing bathroom fans, securing my house to its foundation so as to qualify for earthquake insurance, and most happily, remodeling a bathroom. Spending more time at home, I am really appreciating getting everything in shape and as comfortable and welcoming as possible, for all your visits.


Medical update: Hopefully tomorrow, Friday, my white blood cell count will be high enough for another round of chemo; it wasn't last Tuesday. They say this is normal and to be expected. I learned something comforting/encouraging yesterday, reading The Scribe, a medical publication that Billy receives at our house. It featured my surgeon, Dr. Paul Hansen, who is medical director of hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery at Providence Cancer Clinic. Apparently he was the first in the Pacific NW to perform a fully robotic laparoscopic Whipple surgery, for pancreatic cancer. As of 8/10/09, he had performed 10 such procedures. Only four other centers in the US, and no other is the western states, have used robotic surgery for this procedure, and only the Mayo Clinic has done more than a dozen. Apparently this is the most difficult kind of surgery, because it is very 'vascular.' Enough of the specifis, I am so calmed down knowing that my doctor is on the leading edge and highly respected. I can't imagine having a better team on my side.


So you all don't worry now. I truly feel fine and usually pretty calm about this. Thanks again for all of your warm thoughts, positive, energy, prayers, advice, gifts, cards, calls, visits, help, and comfort. I have a strong medical team and hosts of 'angels' looking after me.


Love you all.

Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment